What would you do in this role?
The Fumbling Mom is looking for a creative, versatile, and highly skilled writer to join its editorial team. On a day-to-day basis, you’ll pitch, research, and write lifestyle stories covering everything from the best new items, to testing the latest cleaning hack and if it really works, to hobbies that will take your free-time to the next level, and the most affordable destinations for your next weekend getaway.
We are looking for someone with experience writing lifestyle content, a strong voice, relatable sense of humor, and outstanding writing and grammar skills. The ideal candidate would have a history of writing for a similar site or publication and be able to write articles that need minimal edits and embody the Fumbling Mom’s voice and brand. Candidates must be comfortable collaborating with editors on fine tuning pitches and making changes, but will be primarily working independently–researching, testing, writing, and responding to edits. A strong background in SEO and optimizing articles for traffic are a huge plus. This role reports to The Fumbling Mom’s Managing Editor.
Topics covered include :
- Home Decor
- Cleaning & Organizing
- Trader Joe’s
- Meal Prep
- TV & Movies
Please note: This position will not be covering fashion and beauty.
Skills & Requirements
- A strong understanding of The Fumbling Mom’s brand and coverage
- A strong comprehension of AP Style and grammar and ability to follow The Fumbling Mom Media Group
- Experience writing for a similar site or publication
- Experience sourcing, pitching, testing, and writing about lifestyle topics
- Be available to pitch and write 3+ articles a week during business hours (8:30 AM – 5:30 PM CST)
- Be comfortable with Google Docs and WordPress
- Commitment to diversity
- Experience and comfort in a nimble, fast-paced start-up environment on a highly collaborative team
- Compensation commensurate with experience and based on industry standards
- Hourly, non exempt
- Email [email protected] with the subject line [Staff Writer: Lifestyle -Your Name, City, State].
- Your cover letter and hourly rate requirements should be pasted in the body of the email.
- Include links to your **(links to your portfolio website, Dropbox or Google drive should not be private; Attachments will not be reviewed)**
- 1-3 links to writing samples
- 3-5 pitches for potential articles; a pitch includes a headline and 1-3 sentences detailing what the article will be about.
- A note on pitches: We love round-ups, but this position will be specifically tasked to write engaging and unique pieces that bring our Home & Living section to life and showcase sub-categories is new ways